St. Ambrose's Parish Primary School is an educational institution, registered since 1906 but in existence since approximately 1859, that gives careful attention to academic and personal excellence, in a manner that allows children to develop to the best of their individual ability. We endeavour to provide an environment that welcomes, nurtures and stimulates the children in our school academically, spiritually, socially, emotionally and physically. We believe that parents are the primary educators of their children and endeavour to create an atmosphere of partnership in the educational process between the staff of the school and the parents. The school exists primarily to assist the Parish and its families in the faith development of their children.
At St Ambrose’s Catholic Parish Primary School, with the teachings and life of Jesus Christ as our central focus, we aspire to provide an excellent education in faith and life, within a welcoming environment. Together we nurture the Spiritual and Educational welfare and needs of the members in our Parish and School community, to foster life-long learning and their relationship with God.
In partnership, we aim to provide the best education possible for your child. Specifically our aims are:
We believe that parents, students, teachers and our parish community have an obligation to co-operate to provide an environment which can be truly called a loving Catholic Community in which Gospel values flourish. It is our hope, that together, we will endeavour to achieve this aim to the fullest. We base our endeavours in the beliefs:
Prior to European settlement the Woiwurrung Aboriginal Clan had inhabited the Woodend area for an estimated 30000 years. Between the 1820’s to 1840 the explorers Hume and Hovell and Major Mitchell passed through this area. Pastoralists began to take up land and settlement began. With the discovery of gold at Mt Alexander and in Bendigo a township begins to form where the track from Melbourne emerges from the from the Mt Macedon forest, hence the name ‘Woodend’.